Sunday, November 12, 2006
God, I love a good election!!!
My best pal (Holly) is doing her masters in poli sci, specifically poltical philosophy, so naturally cannot help but discuss the recent events that occured in the good ol' USA. The election that occured on Nov 7 may be one of the most significant in American history, she says. The democrats won the house and the senate and the GOP (which stands for grand old party, as I just found out) suffered a huge blow. Rumsfeld is out and Nancy Pelosi (D-California) is in as the first ever female speaker of the house. This now makes her, in some opinion, to be the most powerful woman in the USA. Now I do not know much about her as I have not read many of her statements of policy, even with what little I know about Ms. Pelosi, I really think that she can do good in this world. Perhaps her victory will lead to women achieving more in the world and making a difference. What does this have to do with WST? I guess we may have to wait for a few month, years etc to see if Ms. Pelosi lives up to her hype, if she can become a model to which young women can look up to, Holly thinks she will. I have faith for my sisters to the south. Can't wait for the 2008 elections, should be interseting. Clinton vs Rice? Could happen...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think the events of Nov. 7th are amazing as well. I read once (though I'll repeat it poorly) how when women are in power (running countries, businesses and the like) there is less corruption, less poverty and more humane ways of solving issues. Which I suppose only makes sense considering the stereotype women have of being more emotionally involved in aspects of their lives. But this makes me wonder, wouldn't the woman who got this far in office/politics have to be a little ruthless? I'm sure she wouldn't be Miss Congeniality and still make it to become the speaker of the house. I also haven't done any research on the woman you talk about, but I can't help but wonder if she WOULD make a good president? Sure it would be fantastic to have a female representing in the White House - I can say forsure that the conservative baptists of the south would be spinning in their graves. Anyways, as opposed to being cynical I'm just as excited as you are that women are making a name for themselves in politics. I think for the sake of individual countries (if not the world as a whole) it will mean nothing but positivity and betterment for all of humanity. Wow that was a pretty bold statment. And PS. sorry for being so late!!!
Post a Comment