Saturday, September 23, 2006

I Heart Pop Culture...

Wow, that was an intense class. We covered a lot of material on Thursday and two subjects that peaked my interest were the Culture Industry and true vs. false needs. I do not think that many people really understand how deep the culture industry fingers go. The culture industry affects things that we rarely think about like clothing, music, what we buy, where we buy it and when we buy it. Sometimes my head hurts just thinking about the complexity and scope of it all. This brings me to the next interesting point, true vs. false needs. So I pose this question, does the Culture Industry blur the lines between false and true needs? In my opinion, absolutely yes.
Let us use the pop culture gadget of the moment, the i pod. Do we need it to survive, no, but I sure love mine and worked hard to buy it. Why is this line being blurred? Why are we so consumer driven? Why? Why? WHY? I don't know so stop asking me! I am sure this trend will continue and eventually we won't be able to differenciate between wants and needs.
I am exhausted, I need to go out and buy something...
Ciao
ERIN

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Allow me to begin with an agreement; I too love my ipod and I think it is a great example of such blurred needs because whenever mine breaks I consider the world over, that is, until I get a new one. So my answer to your question is yes, Culture Industry does blur the lines between true and false needs. Also, to go beyond that, I believe that it is impossible to accurately define which needs are true and false because the Culture Industry is so deeply ingrained into each one of us. As you mentioned, the Culture Industry is found within our music, clothing and purchases. I think that it goes even further as well to the point of permeation of our decisions and judgments about everything, including the shows we watch, the classes we take, and the friends we make. It is impossible for me to think of what I, or others, would be like without such a Culture Industry mentality.

Juli said...

The culture industry certainly does blur the lines between false and true needs. I immediately think of the Internet. I, in my personal time, do not need a computer or the Internet though I am forced into spending money on both in order to be successful in both my academic and professional pursuits. As mentioned in the article by Mimi White, we have to consider what really gives satisfaction and evaluate whether or not what is presented as necessary, really is.


Just a side note, I think about the commercial for the pink, vibrating, razor with a large number of blades. (Five I think) Makes me giggle every time.

alyssa said...

I have to send out a huge agreement with the ipod story. My ipod too is not working very well, and for the last week I have not been able to stop thinking about buying another one. I really don't need it, but I feel like I can't live without it. Things like this scare me. I know that it is not logical to want something so bad and I can clearly see how the culture industry has infiltrated my mind and made me think I need one.
I think the lines have been blurred between false and true needs that we can no longer identify any resemblance of a line. I see my teenage sister and her friends with the basis of the majority of there conversations revolving around material items. The language they use comes from music videos and television shows. It seems like everything we see and do comes from what we are told see and do.
Even now, as I sit typing this I am pulled in by a new TV show that my mom is watching.

Melissa Lukey said...

Not being enrolled in this class, (but still wanting to support Erin), humour me while I add my two cents about this topic. I am not positive I know exactly what the Culture Industry is, but I can fathom a reasonable guess. And I would say that they do create false needs. Doesn't all advertising do this? I don't need a Swiffer any more than I need Baileys, but they sure do make it seem like a hell of a lot of fun! As for the why, well, I think it's human nature. Our cave-dwelling ancestors probably got to a stage in their evolution where they were sitting around the cave, thinking, "Grog club have 2 spikes. Me make club 3 spike, nicer than Grog." And thus, my friends, the proverbial pebble that started the avalanche we know and love as consumerism.