Saturday, October 21, 2006

Your space is my space

Hi ho, hi ho, a feministeppin we did go. It was fun, I had my doubts, but it was fun. I suppose this was my first real experience in taking up public space. I am not normally the type of person that would make myself noticable in crowd, but on Thursday, walking through HUB with my underwear over my clothes put me square in the public eye. The whole feministeppin' expereince has made we think differently about taking over public space. In the Kipnis article, she talks about women spraypainting on stop signs. This, to me, is taking over public space to the max. It is a shocking, slap you in the face type of truth that no one who sees these signs can deny. So are we WST 320 students, on our way to spraypainting signs? Maybe some of us are, or maybe not. As for me, well, I am going to try to use my voice for more, stand taller and more firm. Really fight the battles. Yeah, how empowering it can be. I sure felt it, did you?

Alright, now I have a question to pose about the midterm, can anyone explain left popular culture? I am really quite lost on this concept.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am at a loss for an adequate explanation of left popular culture, as presented by Kipnis. I think that, at the very least, it includes a refunctioning of materials of mass culture. This refunctioning comes in the form of recognizing a discourse in the dominant’s raw material, and then reappropriating the material with an antagonistic discourse. The example Kipnis gives here is of the Stop sign. However, left popular culture realizes the provisional nature of its refunctioning when dominant discourse takes the antagonistic idea and reappropriates it, thereby liquidating the antagonistic and assimilating it in the commodification of representation.

The provisional nature of refunctioning implies antagonistic action as repetitive, and allows for multiple interpretations of it. Postmodern theory articulates the antagonistic discourse and provides the possibility of further interpretations, meanings, and action. This is just my reading of Kipnis, and I will honestly tell you that it could be WAY off because I missed Dr. Tapley’s always helpful discussion of the article. I also have to admit that when discussion turns to political lefts and rights, I can’t tell one orifice for another. You might find John's blog this week helpful for touching on the Left Popular Culture.

Anonymous said...

well well well erin, sounds like quite the field trip you had. and as if you dont like demand attention in a group setting... i seem to think otherwise.
i also wanted to mention that maybe your hesitation for going out and spraypainting stop signs is maybe due to the fact that you are well aware of the work of public employees. its not as fun to take a stand like that when you have to clean it up first thing monday morning. "RTF" in the tunnel might illustrate this point quite well... speaking of which i think hey hey haebernuts got out of her dare...
anyway - this is a little off the femminist topic... so... You Go Girl!