Sunday, October 29, 2006

The zine scene

Ah, I could not resist the rhyme. Sorry this is late, I worked 15 hours today.. So we begin our zines on thursday. I have to admit, I am really excited. I like to think of myself as a creative person so I hope that I will have some good ideas. From my limited knowledge of zines, I understand them to be underground, homemade, political material. I suppose any faction can produce a zine, but we will be dealing solely with the feminist kind. In our very first reading by Rhodes we learned that the modern day feminist uses the internet as a way to produce and distribute feminist ideas and politics. The internet zine allows for increased readership, as everyone with access to a computer is a possible reader. This is a good thing. Increased viewship of feminist material makes more people aware of the cause, the ideals and maybe even breaks down stereotypes of the typical feminist. Ok, I am tired, its bedtime. Enjoy the extra hour of sleep folks!!!

1 comment:

Melissa Lukey said...

Aside from feminist ones, what issues are you going to discuss / promote in your zine? I've often thought that if I were a lot cooler and had more important things to say, a zine would be an interesting thing to produce. Mind you, I guess blogs are kind of a similar thing now, aren't they?